Wednesday 3 August 2016

ONE MINUTE A DAY

One day a good friend of mine said something about not understanding the reason behind some injunction of Shariah. I said to him, "We spent 10 years at school, then 2 years of College, then 5 years of medical school, one year of house job, another 6-7 years doing postgraduate training, and have been working as consultants for a number of years, and yet if someone asks me today if I know everything there is to know in medicine, my answer always is that I barely know a fraction of the known knowledge in medicine. In comparison, how many hours, days, months or years have we spent learning about our Deen (religion) that we start complaining that I have spent so many years learning it but I still do not understand why we are being asked to do this?"

Time has passed us by but there is still hope and time for our next generation. Following a recommendation you may have read in a post I put up recently I have set up this Facebook group called "ONE MINUTE A DAY" <https://www.facebook.com/groups/1053630734723038/> for our next generation. Please have a look and if you find it appropriate please do encourage your children to join. I intend to post just one post a day, same in Urdu and English, which should be readable in less than a minute. Over one year it would be 365 minutes they would have spent learning about our Deen. As I said to one of our children recently, it is important to keep learning about Deen even if we sort of know that we are not going to start practicing all of it today. This kind of knowledge never goes to waste and it always comes back to us if and when we need it.

This group is open to people from all religions, without a religion, and all sects and denominations. As you may have noticed I only share knowledge about اصول (core principles) of religion, which are almost universal, and deliberately stay away from فروع (peripheral detail), in all my posts. We should educate our children about core values and let them explore the peripheral detail on their own. One always values something more when one has had to work hard to earn it. But we are accountable for guiding our children to the right path.

No comments:

Post a Comment