Saturday 20 August 2016

THE BLESSING OF "TAFWEEZ" (تفویض)

Hazrat said that Rasool Allah ﷺ has taught a prayer that should be said just before going to sleep. It can be loosely translated as, O Allah! I handover my Nafs (inner self) to you, I turn towards you, and I leave all my worldly matters to you.

Hazrat further said that it is human nature that when a person lies down to go to sleep he almost always thinks about events of that day, and wonders what would happen tomorrow. What would happens to tasks I left unfinished today? Would someone steal things from my shop? Would the problems at my workplace get worse tomorrow? etc etc. So Hazrat said that just pray that O Allah, I did whatever I could during the day but now I leave my worldly affairs in your hands. Now I can not do anything except to turn towards you and to ask for your help, that whatever I started today please end it well.

This is what Tafweez is and this what is meant by Tawakkul that once we have made all our efforts to achieve something, we leave the outcomes to Allah Ta'alah and believe in our hearts that only Allah Ta'alah knows what the best outcome would be for us, and that we would be happy with whatever outcome Allah decides for us. One can not even begin to imagine the serenity, tranquility and peace of mind that Tafweez brings unless one's heart and mind have experienced it. There is no way of achieving peace and tranquility in this world without developing Tafweez and Tawakkul.

Tafweez and Tawakkul do not mean that a person becomes lazy and doesn't make an effort. What it means is that the person makes all the efforts he humanly can, but then says to Allah Ta'alah, "O Allah! I have made every effort I could to achieve what I wanted to achieve, now the outcome is in Your hands. and I will be happy with whatever outcome You decide for me." Once a person has developed the blessing of Tafweez he never gets unbearable worries, because he is happy with whatever Allah decides for him, and Allah's will becomes his will.

Adapted from the talk "How to develop a closer relationship with Allah" by Mufti Muhammad Taqi Usmani DB

No comments:

Post a Comment