Sunday 18 September 2016

Hazrat Bayazeed Bustami RE was one of the great saints of his time. It is narrated that after he passed away someone saw him in his dream and asked, "Hazrat! What treatment was mete out to you by Allah Ta'alah?" Hazrat Bustami RE replied, "I had a very strange experience. When I got here Allah Ta'alah asked me, 'O' Bayazeed! What good deeds have you brought with you?' I pondered over what should I say and what virtue could I present in Allah's court, but then realised that none of my virtuous deeds was good enough and pure enough to be presented in Allah's court. I replied, 'O" Allah. I have not brought any virtuous deeds and have come empty handed. I have nothing but hope for Your kindness.' Allah Ta'alah replied, 'Even though you did great virtuous deeds there was one good deed that I particularly liked. Once you woke up in the night and saw that a kitten was shivering because of the cold. You took pity on that kitten and put it in your duvet to protect it from the cold. Because of that act the kitten spent the night comfortably. I liked that act so much that because of it I granted you Maghfirah (deliverance).'"

Hazrat Bayazeed Bustami RE said that whatever great knowledge and wisdom I gathered in this world, accounted for nothing in the Aakhirah (Day of Judgment). The only act that led to my salvation was showing kindness to Allah's creations.

Adapted from the talk "Tawazu, a means of greatness", by Mufti Muhammad Taqi Usmani DB

No comments:

Post a Comment