Wednesday 28 September 2016

THE THREE STAGES OF HASAD (حسد)

Hazrat said that there are three stages of Hasad (حسد) (jealousy). The first stage is the wish that I want to get the material blessings that someone else has got. If the other person continues to have it while I get it, that is well and good. Otherwise, I want the other person to lose all the material blessings so that I can get it.

The second stage is that the other person loses what material blessings he has got, and I get it. In this stage the first step is that the other person loses it, and the second stage is that I get it.

The third stage is the wish that the other person loses the material blessings he has got, and he should lose any respect or comfort he was enjoying because of it. Whether I get those material blessings or not is immaterial,  I just want the other person to lose them. This is the worst degree of Hasad, May Allah Ta'alah keep us all safe from it.

Adapted from the talk "Hasad, a major sin" by Mufti Muhammad Taqi Usmani DB

No comments:

Post a Comment